Senior Strategist – New York
Gemic is a global business consultancy operating out of New York, Helsinki, Berlin, London, and Toronto. Powered by systems thinking and the social sciences, we help the world’s leading companies to grasp shifts in culture, industry, and technology, while defining opportunities for meaningful innovation and growth
Our global community of researchers and strategists comes from a variety of professional, scholarly, and business backgrounds, ranging from the humanities, to the social sciences, to design and innovation, and beyond. Though, what we all have in common are the values of curiosity, analytical rigor, open-mindedness, and care for each others’ wellbeing.
About the role
At Gemic, we work on our clients’ business challenges in small, self-directed teams. As a Senior Strategist, you will specialize in collaborative development of actionable insights and narratives, based on in-depth social research, to identify business opportunities and drive strategy. This includes advising clients, driving discrete phases of research and analysis, and close collaboration with members of your project teams to deliver original and interesting points of views that change the way our clients think about their business. Senior Strategists often serve as mentors and key collaborators with younger Gems, while continuing to hone their consultative prowess and own voice in a room with clients.
This role is based in New York, and will be performed remotely until Gemic’s New York office resumes normal operations in the context of Covid-19 safety (at which point a hybrid of on-site and remote work will be the expectation).
- Collaboratively generate compelling narratives to drive client thinking forward.
- Conduct research and translate into meaningful business insights: culturally relevant strategy and value propositions to drive brand, product, and service platform development.
- Help develop the company’s portfolio of research methods and best practices, while occasionally advising on acquisition of new tools / software subscriptions.
- Assist with development of client pitches and pre-sale conversations.
- Assist with regular client reporting and development of client-facing deliverables.
- Help scope research methods and phases to fit project objectives and constraints – variously drawing upon ethnography, foresight, semiotics, UX, and quantitative approaches such as market sizing.
- Act as a liaison and trusted advisor to clients on small-to mid-level projects, as well as a core member of larger, more complex projects.
- Help coach junior staff, fostering the values of an inclusive and intellectually ambitious culture.
- Help enrich the intellectual capital of your team by following trends and bodies of knowledge that interest you, and sharing your perspectives on them.
- Model and uphold an approach of both kindness and focus under pressures.
The ideal candidate:
- Knowledgeable and passionate about the intersection of business and culture
- Training or experience in one of our three core areas: cultural insight & foresight; innovation & design strategy; business & brand strategy
- 3+ years of experience in a top-tier strategy consultancy (e.g. business strategy, innovation strategy, marketing strategy, brand strategy) or in-house on strategy team
- Degree in a social science (e.g. anthropology), design discipline (e.g. industrial design) or business discipline (e.g. business commerce)
- Familiarity with any of the following verticals: social & consumer, tech, finance, luxury, healthcare, social impact, mobility, education, CPG, F&B
- Proficient in qualitative research methods and data management,
- Highly preferred – comfortable with quantitative research methods and data management (e.g. surveys, market sizing, social listening)
- Experience with client-oriented projects. “Clients” can be external (representatives of other companies) or internal (representatives of other lines of business within the same company).
- Strong ability to work through ambiguity, and navigate divergent points of view
- Openness to alternate ways of research, thinking, and strategy development
- Commitment to continued learning and professional development.
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 25 vacation days per calendar year
- Attractive company perks (e.g. learning budget, phone plan, travel insurance)
- Exposure to high-impact projects with globally recognized brands
- Exciting variety of challenges from exploratory research to business modeling
- A fast-growing agency where your input and expertise plays part in steering the company forward
- Intellectual breadth resulting from close collaboration with diverse mindsets and specialisations, including: anthropologists, designers, historians, artists, and economists.
- The confidence of knowing you’re working with expert and empathetic collaborators.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume/CV and cover letter here: