Financial Operations Analyst
Gemic is a global business consultancy operating out of New York, L.A., Berlin, London, and Toronto. Powered by systems thinking and the social sciences, we help the world’s leading companies to grasp shifts in culture, industry, and technology, while defining opportunities for meaningful innovation and growth.
Our global community of researchers and strategists comes from a variety of professional, scholarly, and business backgrounds, ranging from the humanities, to the social sciences, to design and innovation, and beyond. Though, what we all have in common are the values of curiosity, analytical rigor, open-mindedness, and care for each others’ wellbeing.
About the Role
Gemic has been steadily growing over the past few years and we are looking to expand our finance and operations team to include a Financial Operations Analyst. While being physically located in our Berlin office, the role will include managing the financial operations of our projects delivered out of our Berlin, Helsinki and London offices, and will work closely with our European Operations Lead, our Global Finance Lead, our Europe-based consultants and our external accounting and tax professionals.
In you, we are looking for a strong systems thinker and a natural collaborator. You believe the devil is in the details and through this philosophy you consistently ensure the accuracy of all financial data. You have excellent problem solving and analytical skills and display a strong service attitude towards your internal customers. You are proactive in your approach, show a high level of initiative and take pride in fully owning your responsibilities. You know how to ask the right questions to extract finance information from non-finance people. A fast paced, dynamic environment is something you enjoy and you are comfortable with ambiguity.
- Review and maintain our local finance models (P&L and Balance Sheet); ensure that project budgets, expenses and sales invoices are up-to-date and accurate at all times
- Local AR management; ensure planned receivables are reflected in our local models and invoices are sent out and collected in a timely manner,
- Local AP management; ensure planned payables are reflected in our local models, changes in project cost are incorporated in a timely manner and the pre-accounting for supplier invoices and bills is done in our local accounting tools.
- Expense Management; regularly review and approve consultant expense reports, ensure receipts and bills are tagged correctly and submitted on time. Train new colleagues on time and expense reporting. Trouble shoot and help consultants to resolve issues.
- Month-End Financial Close; reconcile all project and office finances, provide insight into any large deviations from fcst. Support local accountants in accurate revenue recognition.
- Project financial start ups and close-outs; ensure all new projects are set up correctly in the financial systems, and ensure all completed project finances are accurately reconciled before close out
- Support the Finance Lead on local Operations Lead during our transfer pricing activities
- Continuous operational and finance process optimization. Design and implement new financial processes and tools.
- Ensure the Finance Lead and Operations Leads are informed about changes, issues and improvements at all times
- Support local accountants and tax advisors in the delivery of the local tax audits/submissions
- Ensure compliance with firms financial policies and perform ad hoc finance analyses and projects as required
Skills & Competencies
- You are a strong systems thinker and have an impeccable attention to detail – you understand how everything fits together and are proactive in searching out discrepancies and errors in data
- You feel accountable to providing an exceptional quality of work in everything that you do – you incorporate checks and balances into your workflow
- You have a high level of integrity and an ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to manage time effectively and autonomously
- Expert proficiency in Excel and Google Sheets
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, G Suite, Netsuite or other accounting software (e.g. Datev, procounter, Quickbooks)
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, controlling or related discipline
- Solid knowledge of European and international accounting principles
- 4 years working in a finance, financial controlling or managerial accounting role for a high-growth business that operates across different countries
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Attractive company perks (e.g. personal learning budget, phone plan, apple equipment, beautifully designed office in the heart of Berlin, flexible working hours, generous home office policy)
- Exposure to high-impact projects with globally recognized brands and a wonderful team of exceptional, diverse, multinational talent in New York, London, Toronto, Helsinki and Berlin.
- A fast-growing company where your input and expertise plays part in steering the company forward
To apply, Please submit your resume/CV and cover letter here: https://gemic.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=31
Please include a short cover letter answering the following questions:
- Describe what an efficient budgeting process could look like for a internationally operating company in the consulting industry
- What are the main challenges for the finance team at a company like Gemic? How can you help to overcome these challenges?