Director, Health Practice
About Gemic Health
Gemic is a global business consultancy operating out of New York, Toronto, Berlin, London, Helsinki, and Abu Dhabi. Over the past 15 years, Gemic has built a practice aimed at helping our clients drive sustainable and meaningful growth through a rich understanding of the emerging human, technological, cultural and business contexts they operate in. Our global team is a unique mix of social scientists, MBAs, designers, filmmakers, journalists, and brand & innovation strategists.
The Gemic Health team works with leading global healthcare providers to solve their unique needs, bringing together expertise in medical and cultural anthropology, health futures, and strategy consulting. We work with clients in pharmaceuticals, consumer health, health tech, retail health and pharmacy, and hospitals/care delivery.
Equipping our clients with novel insight and foresight, growth and innovation strategy, and brand strategy, the Gemic Health team excels at building the foundations for our clients to reconceptualize and address the challenges they regularly face, and adjust how they operate within a changing healthcare landscape.
About the role
Gemic Health is expanding and looking for a Director in North America (New York or Toronto) or Europe (Berlin) to continue to drive this growth through business development and help build the practice.
The crux of this Director role involves generating new client relationships, helping to build the Gemic team and their capabilities around these opportunities and relationships, overseeing project teams, and supporting Gemic Health in growing the overall offering. You will be supported by leadership (Partners and other Directors) in this effort, while leaning into your own relationships and business development approaches to bring in net-new clients to Gemic.
Project and client excellence
- Oversee teams of 2-6 people on mid-to-large scale projects that combine research, data analysis, insight development, and strategy development
- Guide teams in the translation of research into business relevant insight, strategy and value propositions, and further, into more complex strategic outputs such as brand, product, and service platforms or implementation strategies
- While mostly owning projects and offering senior oversight, will also act as a Project Lead if and where necessary, particularly when building a new client relationship
- Ensure that projects are delivered within scope, on time, and within budget
- Work with Gemic’s Operations team to smoothly set up and close out projects
- Ensure high quality outcomes
Business and offering development
- Proactively and independently seek out new healthcare business and clients, leveraging existing relationships and through novel lead generation
- Build an ongoing relationship of advisorship and continuous projects between Gemic and the new clients brought in via own business development efforts
- Act as the core account owner of one or more healthcare clients
- Own the development of pitches and proposals for incoming RFPs, leveraging the perspectives and expertise of Gemic’s diverse group of consultants
- Thoughtfully design projects to address client objectives and constraints, drawing on ethnography, social media analysis, literature reviews, foresight, semiotics, quant, and other methods as appropriate
- Help build the Gemic Health portfolio of approaches, methods and best practices
People and culture
- Constructively coach and develop junior team members
- Foster the values of an inclusive, dynamic and intellectually ambitious culture at four levels – at Gemic broadly, within the Gemic Health practice, within project teams, and in your respective office location
- In partnership with other Gemic Health leadership, drive the hiring strategy and process for new talent needed to meet needs of an evolving client and offering set
- Experience and proven capabilities in generating new business – lead generation, proposal development, managing procurement processes and comes with a client portfolio
- Expertise in at least one of Gemic’s three core areas: cultural insight & foresight, innovation & design strategy, and/or business & brand strategy
- 10+ years of experience in a top-tier strategy consultancy (e.g. business strategy, innovation strategy, brand strategy) AND/OR in a strategic role within a healthcare organisation (e.g., senior role within insights, competitive/market intelligence, marketing, innovation, strategy, or business development at a pharmaceutical company)
- Expert in qualitative research methods (e.g. ethnography, cultural & semiotic analysis, signal scanning, literature reviews, and other exploratory, generative or evaluative research methods)
- Bonus if proficient in quantitative research methods (e.g. surveys, market sizing, social listening)
- Degree in a social science (e.g. anthropology), design discipline (e.g. industrial design) or business discipline (e.g. business commerce) preferred
- 4+ years experience coaching and mentoring (ideally multidisciplinary) teams and junior staff members 1:1
- Knowledgeable and passionate about the intersection of business and culture
- Strong ability to work through ambiguity, and navigate divergent points of view
- Openness to alternate ways of research, thinking, and strategy development
- Must be physically located in the market applied to (Toronto, NYC, or Berlin) and expected to have a physical presence in the office (hybrid remote/in-office arrangement – exact expectations to be discussed). Note: you must have legal work authorization in the country you’re applying to
- Bonus – fluency in French, German, Spanish, Chinese or Japanese languages
What we offer
- Annual salary ranging between $170,000 and $240,000 if based in the New York office; salary range differs in Toronto and Berlin offices, based on the competitive salaries relative to those cities for our industry and living costs
- Benefits including: retirement savings, employer-covered health plans, and learning & development stipend
- 25 vacation days per calendar year, 5 sicks days, 2 personals, and 11 public holidays
- Exposure to high-impact projects with globally recognized organisations
- A fast-growing agency where your input and expertise plays a significant part in steering the company forward and helps drive the future of the healthcare industry
How to apply
Please submit your resume/CV and cover letter here.